Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Another Fine Mess......


I'm beginning to think that redoing my bathroom is a little like having children - the idea is great, but when reality sets in, the going can get really tough sometimes! I vividly remember the first day that I was alone with my newborn daughter - my mom had gone home, and my husband was at work. I looked down at her and thought "Holy Moley - what have I gotten myself into?"  But obviously, there was no turning back, just like there is no turning back with my bathroom.

I finished ripping out the old and installing new tiles in my shower a couple of months ago.  Then came the ripping up of the old tile floor and the ratty baseboards....a big job! The old medicine cabinet has been ripped out and replaced with a great mirror.  The vanity and other cabinet have been stripped, painted and given new hardware and hinges.  I finally found floor tiles last weekend (they're not the ones I REALLY want, but I do have champagne taste on a beer budget)....and then it occurred to me that I should paint the walls BEFORE I install the tiles, so that no paint accidents ruin them (yes, I'm prone to "Oops Moments" - alot!).

Before I can paint, I have to take off the "lovely" wallpaper border that wraps around all the walls.  After Googling about how to remove it, I tackled the project.  Not as easy as they made it sound - by any stretch of the imagination! I practically asphyxiated myself by trying their suggested method of vinegar and water to soak the paper off.  I surrendered, and made a quick trip to the hardware store that resulted in the purchase of some wallpaper remover gel.  This wallpaper REALLY wants to stay where it is - I think the previous owners super glued it up there - Arrgh!

Just like my daughter turned out to be an incredible young woman in spite of my "oops moments", I'm sure that, in the end, my bathroom project will be completed. I had set a goal to have my bathroom project completed by Christmas, as I do need to study for my classes and have lots of other stuff going on....at this point, Christmas of 2010 looks like a distinct possibility!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you are brave and handy! I'm inspired, but not to the point of thinking I could handle a job of that magnitude! :)

    I'm sure it will turn out beautifully. I feel 'determination' eminating from your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can get your hands on a steamer, ya know the kind that steam wrinkles out of clothing, it works fantastic on wallpaper. I had some that had been on the wall over twenty years and refused to let go. This worked great for me. Good look. We've all had those "what have I gotten myself into," moments.

    I had to laugh at my daughter the other day. Ian is not a happy camper, typical first child. He had been cranky for about 15 hours and she is telling me, "Mom, I didn't know it was going to be this hard, I don't think I can do it." At less than four months old I just had to laugh with, " Hon, it's only just begun!"

    Have a great day fill with blessings and falling wallpaper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, when I removed wallpaper that had been on the walls for, oh about 150 years!!, I tried a lot of stuff. In the end, what worked best was soapy water and a big sponge, really wetting down the border, and scraping it off with a wide spackling knife. The water often ran down the wall and left a trail; but I figured that I'd have to wash the walls afterwards anyway. It's hard work and I highly commend you for tackling it when you've school work to do as well. But go for it, girl! The room will be well worth it afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot stand removing wallpaper. Cannot stand it! You poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phew! That is a big job. I admire you for taking the project on yourself. I'm all thumbs and could never do such a thing-- or least have it end up usable. Keep up the good work. I'm cheering you on.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I envy how you decided to take on such a huge undertaking....I so want to have a new floor laid in my upstairs bathroom and a new sink and vanity put it but I wouldn't know where to start.....do you do this on your own or do you have someone handy to help you?....I will watch your progress and admire your courage......:-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big project, wonderful attitude. Good luck and keep going. It will work out.

    ReplyDelete