Saturday, October 17, 2009

I'm Baaaaack!



Yep, I found the perfect antidote to chasing those blues demons away....after a rough week, my birthday celebration was just awesome. It was "just one of those days", but perfect in its own way!

Emma and I headed off in the morning for Disneyland. I think she used up all of her energy during the 1 1/2 hour drive....we talked, sang songs, and made silly noises at each other. And, made a potty stop at a gas station - the highlight of our journey, as far as she was concerned!

We navigated the parking situation and "Grammy" figured out how to collapse the folding stroller (they are sure different these days - almost had to call Elizabeth for some coaching) for the tram ride, and endured the entrance line. By the time we entered the Magic Kingdom, Emma was ready for a nap....not that she thought so! Potty break time again.....We headed over to Small World and sang the song as we floated through the ride....Afterwards, I figured I'd feed her and then push her through the park until she fell asleep....no such luck! We spent a good 45 minutes eating and watching the people......then walked awhile, but no luck with the nap! Potty break time.....So, as Emma is "princess mad", we went to the Disney Princess area and found that the wait time was 1 1/2 hours.....not even the offer of a ride on Dumbo or a re-ride on Small World could dissuade Emma from her quest......after an hour in line, all signs were pointing toward a melt down!

It was time to head home.....one more potty break (she LOVES to wash her hands!), purchased the promised (big) lollypop, and headed back to the tram and our car. As we arrived at the car, Emma announced that she wanted her Mom to pick her up - she didn't want to ride home with me. Melt down had commenced. By the time we left the parking lot, Emma was asleep in her car seat, tears drying on her cheeks, and I had managed to extricate the lollypop that was stuck in my hair!

Elizabeth greeted us when we arrived home, a little frazzled herself. The purchase of their first home has not been moving smoothly.....they have to be out of their apartment by the end of the month....and at this point, there were lots of bumps in the road toward closing escrow. She has been trying to pack and organize, not knowing exactly when they would be able to move. But, my dear daughter had cooked dinner and baked cupcakes for the birthday celebration! No matter that the chicken was a little "off" so we decided that we shouldn't eat it.....or that she had no eggs for the cupcakes but baked them anyway.....or no butter for the frosting, but used sour cream instead......or that she couldn't find the birthday candles, so we substituted a tea light.....the takeout burritos were wonderful, as were the cupcakes!

The girls had both taken late naps, so schedules went out the window. By the time the little ones were in bed for the night, we were incoherent.....could hardly keep our eyes open for Grey's Anatomy....David and I got the giggles and couldn't stop.....

Cost:
Two tanks of gas $50
Disneyland: FREE for Emma & me!
Lollypop $3
Memories: PRICELESS!

Through other's eyes, it was not a perfect day, by any means. I had never made the trip to Disneyland and gone on only one ride! But through my eyes, it was a beautiful day that I will never forget.....Rather than focusing on my recent losses, I saw all that I had to be grateful for.....it was good and heart-filling for me. My cup is full....balance has been restored....and I had a blast!

P.S. Emma wants to know when we can go to Disneyland again.......

4 comments:

  1. That Emma is a doll and she is blessed with a wonderful grandma who is makin' memories with her. You definitively had a perfect birthday!

    Happy birthday again and have the best weekend.

    God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a great attitude! So many people would see this day differently. I´m glad it went well for you and I´m sure Emma will cherish this memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I love the story of your day! I have seen so many kids have melt downs at Disneyland.. its so exhausting even for me!

    I love that dinner went out the window and you got take out burritos and you loved every bit of it. You have such a good thing going on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect trip to Disneyland. Also, that Emma didn't hit meltdown until in the car was a very good thing!

    Thank you for your words of encouragement on my blog. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete