Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Other Mother


Yes, I do have one! She anointed herself with this title when we were neighbors another lifetime ago....and she chose ME! Bette and my mom were dear friends, and we all practically lived at each other's houses. Her children were my first babysitting job....we stayed in touch throughout the years, even though circumstances pulled us apart.

Do you have any idea how wonderful it has been to have "another mother"? One who saw you for who you were and thought that you were just wonderful, no matter what? One who shared what she knew about laughing at life and playing.....who showed me how to "make lemonade" out of my lemons....

I got to spend time with her this past weekend. Drove up to Santa Barbara with my sis (who was here visiting) and we all went to lunch. I don't think I've ever met another person who has been so comfortable in her own skin as Bette is. We had lots of laughs and lots of love & hugs. I'm going back to see her again soon. I want to be like her when I'm 73!


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a special relationship. How fun! My Aunt (dad's sister) is like that for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for you very thoughtful and insightful comment on my post about my mother! It feels good to have someone understand what I am going through. I also want to try to see her as a "person" worthy of respect and hope that I can develop a new relationship with her.
    I envy you that you had another person to be the "mother" you needed. I would love to find someone like that. But I am blessed with very good friends, and they help me.
    Hope you come back by my blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fabulous relationship!
    xo

    ReplyDelete